Thursday, July 24, 2008

Time for a Marathon?


CYCLIST TO MARATHONER?
I am a die hard cyclist. But towards the end of last year I started thinking about doing a marathon before I get too much older. I couldn't really get into running last fall - had some knee problems with all the biking I was doing. I went to the Boca Raton Orthopedic Group and they did some x-rays - guess my left knee and a couple of my toes are already showing signs of osteoarthritis - bummer.

RUNNING IN 2008
But a month or two ago I decided to finally start running. Well, it's mostly walking with bits of running thrown in. I call it going for a walk-about. I'm up to walking/running 2-3 times a week. I'm guessing I'm doing around 4-5 miles total in around 1 hour 15 minutes. Certainly not a land speed record!

I thought I was in decent shape, from all the biking I do, but dang. Running seems to use a whole different set of muscles and lungs than biking. I can barely run 5 feet without sounding like Darth Vadar's wife. But I have lost around 15 pounds since the beginning of the year. Some of that must be from the walk-abouting that I'm doing. So I guess I'll stick with it for awhile longer.

GARMIN FORERUNNER
I want to get a Garmin Forerunner to keep track of how far/how long I'm actually running. But due to a lack of funds, will have to wait another month or so before I can afford to purchase the Garmin. I do quite a bit of trail/off road running in the woods, besides occasionally pounding the pavement. The Garmin Forerunner was recommended for trail runners as the GPS for the competing brands of running computers don't always work while you're out in the woods.

TEAM IN TRAINING
Since I have been involved with the Leukemia Societies Team in Training cycle team for the past 3 years, I've decided to do my first marathon with Team in Training. I am going to sign up for the Disney Marathon which takes place on January 11th, 2009. On December 7th, 2008, I will be doing the 1/2 marathon at the Marathon of the Palm Beaches. The Team in Training marathon team gets to do the Palm Beach Marathon as a training run as part of our training for the Disney Marathon. WOW - a marathon and a half for the price of a single marathon. What the heck am I getting myself into?

BOSTON MARATHON?
I haven't even done a 5K race yet but visions of marathons are dancing in my head. I went to the ING Miami Marathon website to find out more information about that event. It takes place on Sunday, January 25th and is a qualifier for the Boston Marathon. Ha-HA!!! I haven't even completed a marathon yet and I'm thinking about the Boston Marathon? I don't think my time would ever be fast enough to qualify for Boston. I will be running in the "I just want to finish without passing out" group - so having a fast time isn't my top priority. But one can always dream.

FUND RAISING
The fund raising minimum for doing the Disney Marathon with Team in Training is $2,400. My husband, who is currently coaching the Team in Training cycle team, has no interest in participating in a marathon. But he said he can help me with my fund raising.

I'm still a few dollars short of my fund raising goal for the Cocoa Beach Century Ride which takes place on October 26th, 2008. So it's a bit early to even think about starting to fund raise for the Disney Marathon. The money I raise goes to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Here is a link to my fund raising page: Lynn's TNT Fundraising page. Please consider making a donation to help us find a cure. Thank you for your support!

Take care,
Lynn

No comments: